1/4 cup(s) kosher salt
5 dried bay leaves
1/2 large white onion
6 garlic cloves
1/2 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 octopus (3 lb)
2 tablespoon(s) finely chopped onion
1/2 tomato, chopped
1 whole serrano pepper, stemmed, minced
1/4 cup(s) chopped cilantro
1/4 cup(s) V8, chilled
1 tablespoon(s) fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon(s) Cholula sauce
1.5 tablespoon(s) olive oil
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
1/4 avocado, diced
cilantro, lime wedges and tortilla chips, for garnish
Octopus (Cook up to one day ahead):
- Add salt, bay leaves, onion, garlic, carrot and celery to stockpot with 1 1/2 gallons of water and put on high heat.
- Bring to boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
- Add octopus and lower heat. Leave simmer until tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove octopus from water and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Once cool, thinly slice tentacles into 1/4 inch thick medallions.
- Place in a bowl, cover in plastic and refrigerate until ready to prepare ceviche.
To Build Ceviche:
- Add tomato, onion, pepper, cilantro, V8 and lime juices, Cholula, olive oil, and salt into a stainless bowl and mix.
- Just before serving, add octopus and avocado.
- Serve cold and accompany with tortilla chips. Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro leaves.
An important update is available for your browser. Please install this critical update.